Artist contact - Sandra de la Prada



 
Sandra de la Prada is a Barcelona based illustrator, who studied Fine Arts at the University of Barcelona, completed her training with several courses related to design and illustration at Escola Massana, Escola de la Dona (both in Barcelona) and Fabbrica delle Favole (Macerata, Italy).
She humorously adds in her bio that she works along with her two dogs, Chicho and Rudo, who help her in everything they can and they are the reason for all kinds of animals in her illustrations: cats, dogs, monkeys, elephants, birds.


To see her works visit her website - http://www.sandradelaprada.com/



She has created illustrations for children's and youth publishing principally, although she had also designed various posters. Among her clients are the publishing houses Estrella Polar, Timun Mas, Cruïlla, SM, Barcanova, Planeta, Edicions Salòria, OQO Editora, Pintar-Pintar Editorial, El Terrat de Produccions; The studios Escletxa, Bräva Büro and Tucan, the magazine Barçakids, the museum The Story of Berlin, the Fassulo and 9Barris Acull associations and the theater companies Impro Barcelona, ​​Planeta Impro and Trotam Teatre.


 I came across her works while researching children's illustrations and the various methods of completing them. Due to her busy schedule, she wasn't able to respond to my questions few months ago, when I've sent the email to her, but recently she contacted me again and sent me an email back with the answers to my enquiries. 




Me: Could you describe your work process when responding to a project / report? Are there steps you always take to generate ideas?
Sandra de la Prada: I try to calmly start a project. Read the text (they are usually books) and start taking notes if ideas come to me. Then, I continue developing these ideas with sketches while I document about the place where it occurs, the time, the animals, etc. The next step is to make a very basic storyboard / diagram that allows me to see the overall development of the book. Then I develop a little more each of these vignettes, also as a sketch, and if necessary I add notes of colour, so that the editor can give the approval. Before starting I also do several tests with the technique that I will use, I look for the characters, etc.
 Once all this is clear, I begin to make the definitive illustrations.

M:What caused you to work primarily with illustrations for children?
SP:It is a mixture of personal interest for the infantile illustration, and also of the projects that I have been leaving. Now I lack time to develop another facet.



M: Is there a particular place where you like to create your artwork?
SP:Where best work is at home, at my table and with my tools, with music and the maximum tranquility possible.



M:What advice would you give to a recent graduate, who is trying to find his way in the industry?
SP:Be honest with yourself and enjoy the most with each project.

M:Finally, are you satisfied with your current situation with regard to your art? Do you like what you do?
SP:Every time I am more, but never completely. There is always a corner of yourself wanting to try many new things. The problem is the lack of time!











Here is the original message in Spanish:

Buenos días Srta. Dabrowska,

Por fin puedo responder a tus preguntas:

1. ¿Podría describir su proceso de trabajo al responder a un proyecto / informe? ¿Hay pasos que usted toma siempre para generar ideas?

Intento tomarme con calma el comienzo de un proyecto. Leer el texto (normalmente son libros) y empezar a tomar notas si ya me vienen ideas. Luego, sigo desarrollando estas ideas con bocetos mientras me documento sobre el lugar en donde ocurre, la época, los animales, etc. El siguiente paso es hacer un storyboard / esquema muy básico que me permite ver el desarrollo global del libro. Luego desarrollo un poco más cada una de estas viñetas, también a modo de boceto, y si hace falta le añado notas de color, para que el editor pueda dar el visto bueno. Antes de empezar también suelo hacer varias pruebas con la técnica que voy a usar, busco los personajes, etc. Una vez todo esto está claro, empiezo a hacer las ilustraciones definitivas.

2. ¿Qué le causó trabajar principalmente con ilustraciones para niños?Es una mezcla de interés personal por la ilustración infantil, y también de los proyectos que me han ido saliendo. Ahora me falta tiempo para desarrollar otra faceta.

3. ¿Hay un lugar particular donde te gusta crear tus ilustraciones?
Donde mejor trabajo es en casa, en mi mesa y con mis herramientas, con música y la máxima tranquilidad posible.


4. ¿Qué consejo le daría a un recién graduado, que está tratando de encontrar su camino en la industria?

Que sea honesto consigo mismo y disfrute al máximo con cada proyecto.

5. Por último, ¿está satisfecho con su situación actual con respecto a su arte? ¿Te gusta lo que haces?

Cada vez lo estoy más, pero nunca del todo. Siempre hay un rinconcito de ti mismo con ganas de probar muchas cosas nuevas. El problema es la falta de tiempo! Esto es todo. Disculpa haber tardado tanto tiempo. 

Espero que te sea útil.
Un abrazo,
Sandra






 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fiction and Reality

Current Project

Working on Parkinson's Disease