Santa Claus is coming to town



Monotype print


It is officially December. That means that the shops can now play Christmas songs in between their aisles, our neighbours can decorate their houses and gardens with brithly coloured lights, christmas trees and air pumped figures of Santa and reindeers.

I have also felt the Christmas cheer, despite the fact that though my family is largely consisted of Christians and Catholics, I don't follow any religion, thus I experience Christmas only through my family and friends.

This year, I have decided to create some Christmas-ish cards and prints, starting with a Santa Claus lino print.




 A lino print is a form of printing created by cutting into a plate called lino. Some of the plates can be very flexible and easy to cut, while others need to be slightly warmed up to properly complete the task.

                                                



The lino plate is then inked with paint, I use Water Soluble Printing Paint from Daler-Rowney.
I am always happy with the results from this paint, so I didn't feel the need to change. 


A piece of paper is used over the lino plate, it can be a normal printer paper or a thicker artist paper. I used G. F. Smith paper that I had left over from one of my projects.
The plate and paper are then placed on a printing press, since I do not have a printing press, I used the power of my own body, applying pressure with my hands and sometimes the use of a heavy obejct.







The pressure transfers the ink onto the paper. The result is a linocut print.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fiction and Reality

Working on Parkinson's Disease

Current Project