Q&A with a Graduate Panel

This seems a little overdue, but I have finally found the time to write it up.

Few months ago, we held a Q&A panel for some of the graduates of our Illustration course. The invited guests were: Rose Lloyd, Beth Mills and Chris Howker. Be sure to check out their amazing work.



Q. How do you manage your time?

C.H: Poorly, it is a rather difficult thing to do, but I enjoy having time for myself.
B.M: I like the normal hours, as in the office job. 12 hours on week days. Make sure to never do enything, if you are not getting paid for it.
R.L: I work nearly every day, even weekends, because I work from home and try to do everything right for the deadline. I do try to not get sick with it, I don't want to over do it. It's good to be disciplined.

Q. How did you know, that you want to do art?

C.H: I knew since primary school, often I was called the artsy kid. I did a photography course, but then moved to illustration and sticked with it.
B.M: I decided in the last year of high school, I chose my GCSEs and continued with an Art BTEC course.
R.L: Long time after my first job. Sometimes I regret not doing it earlier but I graduated an art course in 2009.

Q. How do you deal with a difficult client?

C.H: I did a job for a company in Canada. There were quite a few communication problems, as they wanted changes upon changes.
B.M: I worked a 4 month job. It was constructive, hard and harsh. There was a lot of pressure.

Q. Can we work a different job on the side?

C.H: We definitely can't steadily survive on just our fleelance job, at least not at the beginning. You have to keep a balance of work and private life. Remember that exposure instead of pay is a big no, no.

Q. What was your first commission?

C.H: A job for the Music Design Agency, The Fishbowl.
B.M: Work experience with Sam Slater, through the Skillset scheme.
R.L: My rist commission came as a surprise in college. We were on a trip to London, a week later I received a call to do a talk about my work at the Nursing Standard.

Q. What do you think are big oppurtunities for the new illustrators?

C.H: Social media.
B.M: Definitely a cover work. It can create a snowball effect and lead to other jobs.
R.L: I agree, social media - Facebook, Instagram etc. Also entering the AOI and networking at art events.

Q. Do you have some tips for an interview?

C.H: Be proud of your work. Your portfolio should present only what you enjoy. You may not get an immediate response, but keep going.
B.M: Research whu you are doing the interview with. Be sure to smile, tell a small joke but don't overdo it.

Q. What's the best edvice you were given?

C.H: Ask a client what is their work rate and pricing. How much budget do they have in mind? The average pay is 25 per H.

Q. What is your typical working week?

C.H: I keep my Mondays and Wednesdays off and remember to plan my work. I tend to work from 9am till 7pm.
B.M: I work from 8am till 7pm. I do a  lot of cups of tea. Plan around and look around.
R.L: I am flexible in my work, but it depends on the job.

Q. What do you wish you knew before you started as an illustrator?

C.H: To get used to changes.
B.M: You learn the most after you graduate. I wish I knew before how to do an invoice. I would like to try my hand in animation.

Q. How do you deal with a client, that didn't pay you?

C.H: Keep chasing that, pressure them to set the bill. Call their accountant and finance department. Make sure to do your invoice right.
R.L: I get paid around 3 months after a job, but I receive a downpay or upfront money before starting the job.


Okay, so that is all from the Q&A with the graduates.
It gave me some answers and lots of new, different questions, but they will hopefully be answered in the future.











Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Fiction and Reality

Current Project

Working on Parkinson's Disease